Table of Contents
Whether you are a traveller or just Homestuck you will always need to be prepared for an unexpected weather change on the outside. Warm thermal socks are perfect for cold winter weather gear outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, and sledging. Thermal socks always come in handy when you think about the snowy days ahead or cold floors at the base. Now they become even more peculiar when you reside in a place that has unpredictable weather changes.
Thermal socks ensure comfort on all the sides of your feet and avoid other nightmares. With winter sneaking up to us, it is time to change that drawer of socks with holes from last year and upgrade them into a brand new sock with features of keeping you cosy throughout the season. While some people may prefer socks that are rechargeable with batteries, we compiled our list of socks which have no means of having batteries in them and socks that are normal socks with high-end features. Here is the review of a few thermal socks that are preferred by most of the customers along with their unique features.
Editor’s Picks: 3 Of The Top Thermal Socks In 2020
5 Best Thermal Socks In 2020 Reviewed
1. DG Hill Men’s Thick Heat Trapping Insulated Heated Boot Thermal Socks
The DG Hill Men’s Thick Heat Trapping Insulated Heated Boot Thermal Socks are designed for extreme temperatures. Insulating thermal yarn traps heat and keeps feet incredibly warm even in the coldest environments. They are seven times warmer than cotton socks. Perfect Cold weather boot and ski socks for men, women & children, as they come in all sizes. These are great winter socks and an important part of the wardrobe for people who fancy skiing and other outdoor activities during the snowy days. It also has a feature commonly known as moisture-wicking. This means that the material absorbs sweat and moisture, reduces any other odor and sustains dryness. Your feet will stay cosy and comfortable all day.
- DESIGNED FOR EXTREME TEMPERATURES: Warm mens and womens socks; Insulating thermal yarn traps heat and keeps feet warm even in the coldest environments and is 7X warmer than cotton. Perfect Cold weather boot and ski socks for men and women. These are great winter socks and ski thermals
- SOFTER THAN WOOL: Does not irritate skin. Itch free! These adult and teen warm fuzzy socks have heavily brushed fleece lining for superior softness and comfort. Nothing better than cozy heated thermals to cradle your feet, winter thermal socks when on the go, or relaxing at home. Ideal trail hiking thermal socks, outdoor weather gear, camping gear accessory; These thermal socks are 93% acrylic, 6% polyester, 1% spandex
- The cushioning on the footbed is to maintain comfort even after long hours of using the socks
- The socks absorb sweat and moisture and conserve dryness all the time
- No-slip cuff
- The furry part that helps the customers stay even warmer during the coldest of days
- Not the most durable
2. Wigwam Men’s Merino Wool Comfort Hiker Socks
The Wigwam Men’s Merino Wool Comfort Hiker Socks are everything that a hiker needs for a memorable experience. They are budget-friendly and serve their purpose of keeping the feet warm. They are made up of 67% Merino wool, 21% Stretch Nylon, 7% Elastic that aids the comfort they provide. These are your go-to socks when you plan on going for sports activities in the cold days. They have a good range of colour combinations for their customers to choose from charcoal to olive, denim, navy, and khaki. These socks are finely cushioned in loops from the inside and it has a seamless toe closure for comfort. In addition to this, the socks can be washed in the washing machine without any damage being done.
- 67% Merino wool, 21% Stretch Nylon, 7% Elastic (rubber), 5% Acrylic.
- Fully cushioned, Seamless toe closure
- After washing the socks, the fabric does not shrink, unlike a few other materials
- Properly cushioned and has a durable design
- The socks come with a lifetime guarantee.
- The sizes of this brand are different compared to standard sizes
3. Carhartt Men’s Arctic Heavyweight Wool Boot Thermal Socks
Arguably the best sock on the list is the Carhartt Men’s Arctic Heavyweight Wool Boot Thermal Socks. Carhartt remains the best in the business when it comes to such stockings. This sock gives you the dual advantage for hiking activities, intense sports and besides it is also the preferred socks for long flights. This sock is made up of 68% Wool, 23% Nylon, 1% Spandex, 8% Other fibre. So safe to say it is a blend of different fabrics only to combine for better comfort of the consumer. These socks are your ideal companion for the cold weather with thermal insulation and fine cushioning that will keep you warm, dry and most importantly comfortable.
- Comfort Stretch Top prevents falling, pinching, or binding
- Merino wool and Coralast Abrasion Resistant fibers create an Ultra Comfortable, Long lasting work sock
- Comes with odor control technology that makes sure that the product smell good on a regular basis
- The thermal insulation helps the sweat transport and helps in keeping the feet warm and dry
- Elasticity is quite impressive
- Slightly expensive
4. Wigwam Men’s Cool-Lite Mid Hiker Thermal Sock
Wigwam has been in the business of producing thermal socks since 1905. So it is safe to have assurance in Wigwam to come up with yet another fine product in Wigwam Men’s Cool-Lite Mid Hiker Thermal Sock. It comes with fantastic wear and wash quality which does not let socks shrink. The Wigwam sock also comes in a range of colours including black, grey, khaki, charcoal, white and navy. These socks are extra cushioned at the base of the feet for providing extra comfort to the customers. This sock is made up of 48% Polyester, 23% X2O Acrylic, 21% Stretch Nylon, 7% Tencel, 1% Spandex, a combination that has been in the business for a long time and has the customer’s delight.
- US manufactured
- Ultimax moisture control for blister protection
- Seamless toe seam makes it perfect for all outdoor activities
- Come with odor control technology
- They do not bleach in the washing machine
- The extra cushioned footbed comforts the consumers
- Comfortable but not long-lasting
5. Darn Tough Men’s Merino Wool Hiker Boot Sock
The Darn Tough Men’s Merino Wool Hiker Boot Sock is designed to cuddle the feet throughout the time the customer wears it. These socks are also found to be just as amazing when the customer wants to hike. The height of the sock perfectly compliments the height of the boot. This sock has a variety of colour combinations that include black, oatmeal, charcoal, chocolate, olive, denim, and onyx. The Merino is designed and Knit with 66% Merino Wool 32% Nylon 2% Lycra Spandex. It has a mid-level cushion density underfoot, a warm and ultra-comfortable choice when conditions demand it. They come in very handy for the snowy days.
- Performance Fit: No slipping, no bunching, and no blisters. True Seamless: Undetectable seam fusion for an ultra-smooth, invisible feel.
- Fine Gauge Knitting: Unprecedented durability and our unique "put it on, forget it's on" feel.
- Antimicrobial and antibacterial
- Lifetime warranty
- Very high-quality material used
- Too tight around the arch
Things To Consider Before Buying Thermal Socks
- Say no to cotton
You might find the fabric of cotton very comfortable but it is best if a customer avoids cotton when the question is about the warmth. Customers should pay attention to wool instead. Wool has the insulating factor that keeps the feet dry meanwhile cotton holds onto the moisture and can make your feet feel wet inside your boots.
- Thickness and Warmth
Do not prioritize thicker over warmer or the vice versa. As it may seem that thicker socks might help your feet stay cosy, you run a higher chance of having blisters more often than normal. And in case of wearing big boots, there is low circulation to your feet.
Always seek the products that you are comfortable with. Now comfort is decided by different fabric materials like wool, silk, nylon etc or a combination of two or more materials. Base your purchase on what you feel most comfortable in and pick your options from the list we have compiled for you.
The quality depends on many factors, for example, if you are looking for a sock that can withstand intense activities, you need to find the socks with a quality that can withstand different weathers and are ready for all of them.
- Thermal Properties
By far the most key point to keep in your mind is to know the thermal properties of the sock you intend to purchase. Some materials are good conductors of heat while some maybe not. The ability to conduct and trap the heat is a key factor to determine your sock and something that requires your attention more than the other factors.
Most socks serve a different purpose to the customers. While some may be dual-serving like most socks on our list. The socks used primarily for staying cosy indoors do not serve the purpose of having fun during a hike or sports activities.
There should always be a passage of air passing through, and this refers to the breathability of the sock. No matter how thick a thermal sock may seem, it should be able to deal with the heat by trapping air, otherwise, it is as good as nothing.
A lot of socks, upon washing, have the feature of shrinking or reducing in size. This is one quality you have to avoid. All the thermal socks aforementioned have the quality of not shrinking upon wash and are flexible all the time.
Your heel should fit perfectly at the heel of the sock. The arch area should fit snugly around your arch.
The top part of the sock must be elastic. It shouldn’t be so tight that it leaves marks on your feet, but also not so loose that you have to keep pulling up your socks every other minute. When we say it should be perfect, we mean it.
They should use Anti-bacterial yarn to prevent odour so that your feet and socks stop stinking as much it does with other socks. Also check for the moisture-wicking fabric, which guarantees that no sweat is trapped inside your feet, leading to some serious infections such as the fungal infection.
Sometimes to narrow down your list, you should consider options who are famous for their fabrics. This factor is not negligible which why we have enlisted only the most trusted and reliable brands. However, sometimes some products overshine the products that have brand value.
Spend a few minutes to review your options by considering their key points for your comfort and then you will find added reviews by people who have purchased the same sock. This will bring a few facts into light that is not exquisitely mentioned in the description of the product.
Last but not the least, the price is always an important factor in buying products. Base your purchase with the keynote of “You get what you pay for.” Not all cheap products are bad, and not all expensive products are good, so have an eye on the other points of the guide.
Advantages Of Using Thermal Socks
- Warm socks are always a plus for you to have when winter sneaks up on to you. It keeps you warm and cosy and protects you from those cold floors indoors during the cold days.
- Due to its fibre qualities, the elastic can retain its shape after repeated washing and stretch.
- By increased blood flow to the feet, wearing these socks help in improving the blood circulation. Good circulation guarantees a healthy blood and oxygen flow, allowing the muscles, lungs and heart to work efficiently.
- These also help customers who go for hiking plans, day trips, and long winter months that assures your feet do not surrender to the cold with these warm socks.
- Most of the normal thermal socks are much finer than your normal average socks. The heat-retaining feature, the shrink feature makes it a standout from other normal socks.
- Some socks also contain spandex like athletic socks and others don’t. Others include normal outdoor socks. Imagine fusing the benefits of both athletic and outdoor socks, This is basically what many of the thermal sock companies offer, a fusion of two fabrics.
- Because of their nature, most of the thermal socks have antibacterial properties and therefore they are odourless, not something a lot of other normal socks can deliver.
- Thermal socks have insulating properties which are their standout feature. Due to the insulation, there are no sweaty feet, these keep the feet warm and dry.
- Thermal socks don’t have to be washed every time you wear them. Indeed, they can be worn multiple times before getting washed.
- When you wear them inside your residence, it minimizes the requirement of temperature management. Your thermostat can work less, as you will end up feeling warm. This can result in you conserving some bills for the indoor house.
- If you are a fan of skiing, ice climbing and activities as such, thermal socks are essentials during these times. They keep you warm and transform sweat as well. So, you can comfortably enjoy your activities no matter how cold it could get.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What are the washing instructions for thermal socks?
You can throw your pair in with the normal laundry. Wash them at low heat and the product looks as good as new.
Q. Do thermal socks pull on easily or are there some struggle?
These socks, if fitted correctly, will provide a supportive, proper snug fit; however they are not uncomfortable or difficult to pull on. The elasticity lasts through many, many washes if washed in a gentle cycle and delicate dry setting. Few of the finest products are aforementioned.
Q. Does the manufacturer honour the warranty for normal wear and tear?
Although every brand has its own unique policy, they usually guarantee their customers that if any type of holes or such problems is observed by them, the company would give them a fresh new pair with no questions asked.
Q. Do thermal socks come with a tight cuff?
Well, they are not too tight but they are very firm. It is sad because they are a wonderfully soft and well-cushioned sock and hence they cannot be stretched. They do leave a slight intention on the leg, BUT if turned down one tiny turn, they work well.
Q. Will my feet get sweaty while using thermal socks?
A lot of socks in the list are made using acrylic yarn, which is great at wicking away moisture. Your feet will be dry and warm rather than being sweaty.
Q. Are thermal good socks for hiking in really hot weather?
Yes, the socks work properly well for the first 2 days of a hiking plan and keep the feet dry and not hot. The socks work just fine in both the weathers, however they are not preferred for everyday use.
Q. What are the washing instructions?
A washing machine is a better-preferred mode of washing than a dryer. A few of the consumers have observed that washing them in the dryer shrinks the sock a little bit whilst the washing machine does not cause much of the damage.
A Final Word
Thermal socks are a necessity if you think about it deeply. It is one of the biggest essentials during the winter that helps people stay warm at the footbed. We have compiled the best 6 for you so that it helps you narrow down the list slimmer for your comfort. These socks are from brands that trend well from real testers. So now all that is left for you to do is to pick one product, sit back and stay cosy for “Winter is coming.”
On an ending note, we’d personally recommend you to buy:
This sock gives you the dual advantage of wearing them while having long flights and also when you’re having a hiking plan or athletic activities. It is made up of 68% Wool, 23% Nylon, 1% Spandex, 8% Other fiber, hence, safe to say it is a blend of different fabrics only to combine for better comfort of the consumer.
Last update on 2020-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API